Wednesday, September 11, 2013

10 September 2013 - Fine It's Pink - When I'm Small

As some of you may know, the Phantogram song "When I'm Small" is one of my favorites.  I snuck this compelling, different, hypnotic song into a post over on Wicked Guilty Pleasures back in January, and on this blog twice before - I encourage you to go to the original posts (by Lizzy Land here and Antique Firearms here.  They're both fantastic versions of the song, and very different from the original and each other.

What got me thinking about this song is an interesting story.  I was upstairs in my house, and the Bills game was on downstairs.  And I heard this:



And I came immediately downstairs.  Because why the hell was Phantogram playing during football?  Of course, I saw it was a Gilette commercial.  And I tweeted as much.  At that time, I decided that I would post a cover of the song today, my day to do the covers blog.

Fine It's Pink are a Romanian - ROMANIAN - band that decided to take this slow burn of a sound, pick up the pace, and add a little beatboxing.   And it worked beautifully - they captured the raw emotion and despair of the original, while amping up the anger just a bit.  By the way, check out their Facebook page.  They've got a lot of terrific original songs, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, say something!