Sunday, May 20, 2012

20 May 2012 - Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends

I had a great friend named Mark when I was growing up. We used to talk about music an awful lot.  He was a huge Hall & Oates fan.  He also was quite a Beatles fan.  So, when the topic of this song came up, we had a lively debate as to which was the better version of the song - The Beatles' or Joe Cocker's.  We never did come to consensus on that one, although, in his open-minded way - one of the most open-minded people I've ever met - he could accept that this version was more than a cover, but a reinvention of the song.  It really is a different song.

Mark would have been 40 this month - he passed away in 1995.  I think of him every time I hear this song.



And, for Mark, here is the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, say something!