Thursday, April 25, 2013

25 April 2013 - R.E.M. - (All I Have To Do Is) Dream

From the 1986 movie Athens, GA Inside Out, a movie about that city's music scene, here is R.E.M., who everybody knows and loves now, but didn't in 1986, covering a beloved song.  

I love how Michael Stipe starts the song with his mournful voice, unaccompanied.  What I love more, and a lot of people don't notice, is that this version of the song maintains the original 2-part harmony made so famous by the Everly Brothers.  Mike Mills is the other voice that can be heard on this track.  Of course, R.E.M. go one step further on this harmonies - Mills and Peter Buck are both playing guitar on the song.

All in all, this is one of my favorite songs of all time, as performed by one of my favorite bands of all time, and I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, say something!