Tuesday, April 16, 2013

16 April 2013 - Dwight Yoakam - Sloop John B

I have always liked Dwight Yoakam.  I like him as a classic country musician, and I liked him as an actor in Sling Blade - an excellent movie if you haven't seen it.

It's also well-established that I like this song.  I have posted covers of it in the past. Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys album on which it originally appeared, is one of the best produced pieces of art the music world has ever seen.  The Beatles listed the album as an influence when they moved to the later part of their career.

This song - which sounds like it's going to be a sweet tale of affection but ends up being far more of a bummer - remains one of my favorites to this day.  I was surprised how well it translated to country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, say something!