Tuesday, June 26, 2012

26 June 2012 - Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

This.  This is my favorite song of all time.  Bar none.

Glen Campbell captures perfectly the heartbreak of... well, a Wichita lineman.  The ache of the loneliness of the work comes through in the guitar/violin combination as well as Glen's gentle vocals.  He wants to hear his love through the wires, and yearns for it.  

It's a song I wish I could sing.

It's also a song Glen didn't write.  In a Totally Covered twist, the recording of Jimmy Webb's song - which was written for piano - was released before Jimmy Webb ever was, and in fact was written FOR Glen Campbell.  Jimmy Webb wrote a lot of Glen Campbell's hits.

But it is his song.  And it is the most perfect song ever written and performed.



As an added bonus, here is a video of Glan Campbell performing the song in Toronto last year, on his Goodbye tour, as he is suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's. I haven't seen him live yet, and I really hope I get the chance to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, say something!