Thursday, June 13, 2013

13 June 2013 - Mates of State - I Am A Scientist

This Guided by Voices cover was commissioned for the compilation album Science Fair, a benefit to support girls studying science and engineering.  This is something about which I'm somewhat passionate, being the father of two daughters.  I strongly encourage them to be whatever they want, and both have shown significant interest in science, which makes me very happy.

The cover itself is strong and a sharp rereading of the original.  Being one of my favorite GBV songs, it had the great potential to disappoint, and it didn't. They replace the jangly guitar with bass, but it works. The video is even better!  Look at the girl, actually being curious, naturally, about science and discovery, even in the face of ridicule!



If you are interested in learning more about Science Fair, or about Girls Inc., the charity it benefits, please visit their websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, say something!