Thursday, June 27, 2013

27 June 2013 - Charli XCX - I Want It That Way + I Love It (I Don't Care) + Killing Moon

This post started off with me debating what would constitute a cover.  Can an artist cover a song when 1. they wrote the song and 2. they appeared on the original?  Or perhaps the original is the cover.

Such is the case of Charli XCX, the UK singer/songwriter who co-wrote a little hit called "I Love It (I Don't Care)" that a lot of the kids seem to like to dance to.  Well, she's performed the song herself.  So, is that a cover?

Then I found this gem, a cover of a Backstreet Boys classic.  It's simply and beautifully done - those multipart harmonies are difficult to replicate as a solo artist, but she does so masterfully.  Plus, this is clearly a cover, so my quandary is solved.



Now, you didn't think I was going to leave you without the Icona Pop "cover", did you?  Frankly, she does such a strong job on this song, I think she should have kept it for herself.



I found this after I was done writing this post.  Yes, Scott posted a different cover of this yesterday.  We're just coming all sorts of full circle this week.  It's not as dark as it should be, in my opinion, but it's well and reverently performed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, say something!